Italiano English
   

About Tarquinia

 

Agriculture

No data

 

Archaeology

Gravisca

On the coast, near the Etruscan ‘Porto Clementino’ (Port of Clementine) are the ruins of the Etruscan Emporium ‘Gravisca’. There are important visible remains of a cult ritual site erected in 118 BC on the foundations of a former Etruscan settlement. Located on the edge of the Roman Colony, the sanctuary was a place of worship as far back as 600 B.C. by the Etruscans and later by the Romans. The building was divided into a variety of shrines dedicated to Etruscan and Greek divinities. 

 

Fountains

No data

 

Historical Center

Barrier San Giusto

It has been a gated entrance to the city since medieval times and was fomerly called "Florence Gate" built in 1883-84 by Arch. C. Grispini. The large iron gates were removed in 1936. The look out terrace is from the early 1900's.

Casa di Vincenzo Cardarelli

The house of the poet Vincenzo Cardarelli.

Chiesa della SS. Trinità

Building built between the XVII and XVIII century to replace an earlier building dating back to the thirteenth century.  There has not been any reported information of the church until 1631 when the 'building was used as a meeting place of the Brotherhood of the Holy Trinity, from which it derives its name. Neoclassical facade, the interior is very simple and has a single nave. The Church is consecrated for worship and inside houses the vestments used in the Good Friday procession.
Open to the public only during Easter Week.

Chiesa di Giovanni 12th-13th century

The building has a gabled facade in Romanesque style with Gothic elements evident in the pointed arches of the three entrance doors. The plan is influenced by the first French Gothic nave and along the left there is a lunette fresco depicting a Pietà attributed to Antonio da Viterbo. Belonged to the Order of Jerusalem and the Knights of Malta. The Church is open to the public. 8am-12pm 4pm-7pm
 

Chiesa di S. Leonardo 18th century

The Church was built in 1746 on a pre-existing temple in Baroque style and expanded in 1756 by architect Navone. The facade is simple with regular lines. The interior is elliptical with four projecting chapels, note; the tomb of Cardinal Angelo Quaglia cornetano, created with a design by Virginio Vespignani. The Church is open from 8am-12pm 4pm-7pm.

Chiesa di San Giuseppe

Construction began in 1619 and was consecrated in 1635. It was built thanks to the work of the artisans of the homonymous district and the guild of carpenters who until then had no church of their own. In the eighteenth century, it was restored with the help of the City. The prospectus bell tower, has a single entrance. Inside it contains a wooden statue of the Risen Christ that is carried in procession through the streets of the town on Easter Sunday. The Church is open the day after Easter.

Chiesa di Sant'Antonio

Church and Convent of St. Francis

The church was built between the late 13th and early 14th century apparently on a site following a miracle of St. Francis. On the site was erected an oratory dedicated to the Trinity where it has been a place of worship for the Franciscan Friars Minor ever since.The tower was built in 1612, it had replaced a previous bell tower with most likely three bells. The coexistence of the Gothic and the Romanesque elements are evident in the Christian Church. The facade is divided into three sections which correspond to the three interior aisles. In the middle, much higher than the others, is the main portal consisting of an array of four concentric reentering ogival pointed arches, clearly Gothic. The decorated rosette window above the portal is obviously Romanesque. The sides are surmounted by six acute Lombard arches particularly noticeable on the right sector.The interior is divided into three aisles of five bays each, the central nave twice the width of the side aisles, with a slightly raised transept with three apses at the end. On the right side are five chapels, added between the 15th and 16th century, the Chapel of Blessed John Triora, the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception, the Chapel of St. Anthony of Padua and the most recent, the Memorial Chapel of the Nativity scene. The Convent, until the end of the seventies was the location of the Scientific High School of Galileo Galilei, today hosts the Friars of the Immaculate Order and can not be visited. Worthy of note, are the Renaissance cloister and the well in the garden.
 
 

Church and Monastery of Santa Lucia

The current churches nave is covered by a barrel vault. Nothing remains of the structure of the XV century, completely destroyed in a fire in the eighteenth century. Inside you can admire paintings of the brothers Gagliardi, known painters of the nineteenth century. The monastery of the Benedictine nuns next to the church, is from 1564. The buildings overlook a cloister and a courtyard with an adjoining garden that develops in the perimeter of the double walls of the city. Closed to the public.

Convento e Chiostro di San Marco

Convent and cloister of Saint Mark

Fountain of the Piazza

Is one of the most photographed symbols of the city. The monument was commissioned by the Roman Cardinal the apostolic prefect and was designed by Filippo Barigioni in 1724 to inaugurate the aqueduct that brought fresh water into the city. On each side of the four sided pedestal there are four shields bearing coat of arms and an epigraph: starting from the North - Cardinal Renato Imperiali; East - the date of construction; South - Corneto  and  West - Pope Innocent XIII ContiThe local folklore has it that the fountain came from Palestrina, south of Rome, where it was removed in 1435 by Cardinal Giovanni Vitelleschi after the destruction of the city. While historians conclude, that it is a work of the eighteenth century built between 1723 - 1725 and designed by architect Filippo Barigioni and sculpted by Francesco Pincellotti. In 1724 the new aqueduct, known as the “Arcades”, was completed. It alleviated the water shortages in the city and  is still visible along the Via Cassia, the road that leads to the adjacent town Monteromano. The water fed through the aqueduct was functional until 1870. The aqueduct was abandoned in the eighteenth century when the installation of cast iron pipes replaced it. Until just a few decades ago, the decorative fountain in the piazza was an essential need in the daily lives of the citizens for it was the main water supply. Today the monument is still used as a drinking fountain for the thirsty traveler. 

Monastery of the Passionists

The building dates back to 1771 and the Convent was founded at the initiative of S. Paul of the Cross on an existing buildings. During the demolition was found a fragment of a fresco depicting the Madonna and Saints. Always the image of the Virgin was venerated and considered miraculous. After the consecration of the Passionist monastery church, the image of the Madonna was moved above the high altar. In 1810, following the Napoleonic decree, the nuns turned away from Corneto until 1814 and the building was converted into a orphanage for girls, school and public hospital for women. The small church has a single nave, has temporarily housed the remains of the mother of Napoleon Bonaparte, Letizia Ramolino and those of his uncle, Cardinal Fesch.

Palazzo Comunale (City Hall)

Open Mon-Fri 9am-7pm Sat 9am-1pm closed Sunday
The palazzo was probably constructed at the end of the 11th century and was modified several times in the following centuries. This is evident in the positioning of the windows and the diverse styles in the architecture. This became evident on the removal of the stucco during a restoration. The palazzo is presently the City Hall and houses many of the appointed officials of the towns government. In the main entrances hall there are many af
 

Palazzo Vipereschi

Santa Maria and Margarita Church (Duomo)

The building is the result of many interventions begun in the twelfth century. Became a cathedral in 1435 and by the mid-fifteenth century the Bishop Bartholomew Vitelleschi commissioned the expansion and renovation. In 1643 a fire destroyed the building. From this moment until the nineteenth century it underwent numerous renovations and up to the current in neoclassic style. The current façade was designed by architect Peter Magnani (1933). Inside you can admire the frescoes by Antonio da Viterbo said Pastura (early sixteenth century ceiling and walls of the presbytery).

Hours: 8am-12pm 4pm-7pm

Santo Spirito

The church is embedded in a block of buildings belonging to the former Pio Istituto di Santo Spirito (now managed by the Lazio Region) and can be easily identified among them by the façade that shows some obvious traits of the baroque: the division of space into squares of the prospectus, the 'relief with the figure of the winged cherub on the portal, the cornices side volutes, the typanum in multiple frames closing the top of the building . The interior space, excluding the altar and the shrine column above it, is made with fine stucco. The church was deconsecrated and is used occasionally for art exhibitions or similar events.

Santuario di Maria ss. di Valverde

The church is dedicated to the patron saint of the city Saint Margaret and is located outside the city walls near the south-western side of the city. It was probably built at the turn of the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. The building shows its facade to the sea where you can enjoy a wide panorama. The churches foundations are on the edge of a cliff clay which with the passage of time and to natural erosion and geological movements has caused profound damage to the overlying structure that has thus undergone numerous internal changes and structural consolidation work on the exterior. These interventions however saved the outside general appearance of the building including the rose window in radial columns that allows rays of the afternoon sun casts reddish light beams and fill the interior with a warm gold glow until sunset.

 

History

History of the Etruscans the people who founded Rome

The Eastern Mediterranean Bronze Age was a period characterized by extraordinary wealth and culture, from this era a city was recognized as a symbol of civilization that for future centuries, became the cultural foundation of refinement and wisdom for the whole Mediterranean basin: this city was Athens ! Economic development, by which the Phoenicians undoubtedly contributed to with their intense commercial activity, produces a rapidly growing population which in turn generates the need to seek new territories where colonies were founded, given the proximity and the wealth of resources of the Italian peninsula, it becomes the main objective. Understandably, 2,700 years ago, waves of Greek colonists began to point the prows of their ships west towards the Italian peninsula following news (as well as the oracles) from the traders in the colorful bazaars of the Eastern Mediterranean of fertile and free land acquired by the Egyptians and Phoenicians. Initially, this land was simply given the name "Hesperia", or "the Land of the Sunset”, and the ambition was to establish new centers in the territory, more fertile and hospitable than the motherland, in just a few years it was named “Magna Graecia”, the "Great Greece". Of course many of these lands weren’t completely “uninhabited”. There were indigenous peoples who lived by herding, occupying the high lands. The coastline was easily attainable although only in the southern peninsula. In Northern and Central Italy, there already flourished a developed and advanced level civilization, which, with its peculiarities would profoundly affect not only the Greeks, but also provided a substantial contribution to the formation of the Roman civilization: The Etruscans.
In 700 b.c. the Italian territory was divided as follows: indigenous peoples inhabited the internal areas, the Greeks controlled the coastal areas of the southern peninsula, while the Etruscans dominated the North of the Tiber, the river that cuts the western side of the italian peninsula in half. Hence, the two richest and most advanced civilizations: the Greeks and Etruscans lived north and south of the Tiber, and had intense commercial trade relations through the only ford the Tiber River, which soon assumed great strategic importance and who controlled it could count on a steady revenue consisting of taxes already imposed on the rich merchants that utilized the ford to travel through the Greek and Etruscan territory. For this reason, the federation of the “Septimontium”, or the famous “Seven Hills”, was created for they were the seven hills surrounding this strategic area.
This federation, thanks to a charismatic leader, which legend attributes the name, "Romulus", united the “Seven Hills” into a single political entity: the City of Rome! It didn’t take long for the Etruscans to realize the strategic potential of the “Septimonium” and by the end of the seventh century BC, Rome was ruled by the first “Etruscan Kings”: Tarquinio Prisco, followed by Mastarna (or the “Romanized” version Servio Tullio) then Tarquinio Superbo. “Mastarna” was the name used by the Etruscans. Of the three, the second one “Mastarna” was certainly the one that left the most profound and positive mark, as a consequence, in Roman tradition the name was "Latinized" to Servius Tullius and many historians, including Tito Livio , considered it an act of "propaganda”. Many of which have written to substantiate this claim, a different historical viewpoint, that the Etruscans were still present in 300 BC and “Mastarna” was remembered as one of their great leaders, a hero to be proud of. In fact, alongside the “Roman” tradition, is an “Etruscan” tradition almost entirely unknown. A tradition that has been decidedly hidden for centuries and is returning with force to the public attention.
The first to propose a different view from the consolidated Greek and Roman historians, was “scholar” Emperor Claudio who was married to an Etruscan Maiden and had access to original records of the Etruscan people. In a speech to the Senate in 48 AD (also recorded in the bronze tablets of Lyon, his place of birth):”...There was once a time when Rome was ruled by kings, but (it) never became a hereditary monarchy. Strange men conquered the crown of Rome. Even outsiders like Numa Pompilius[...] as Tarquinio Prisco. [...] succeeded by Servio Tullio, that was of Etruscan origin and a plebeian son of Ocresia. The faithful companion of Etruscan Caele Vipinate, which shared all the hardships, it is said that when Caeli was defeated, Servius Tullius, who at the time was called Mastarna, headed the army and took possession of the remaining mountain and gave it Caelius’s name, Mount Celio, then silently in his own name captured the crown of Rome with the greatest advantage of the state." Moreover, it was a known custom of changing the name of an Emperor, censoring to a certain extent their notoriety. This is clearly demonstrated in a passage from Tacitus: “...later was named Celio, from Celio Vibenna, leader of the Etruscans who received the assistance provided by the seat of Tarquinio Prisco or another of the king’s for the historians disagree. The only thing certain is, that those forces, very numerous, spread to inhabit the plains and also the sites next to the city forum and that the foreigners called him Vico Etrusco” (Tactus, Annals IV, 65).
Centuries pass and the only version is the recount of the successors , the history of the Etruscan Emperors went slowly but steadily deeper into oblivion until, in the early 1800’s a farmer guiding a plow drawn by two oxen was tilling the fields of the Prince of Canino, Lucien Bonaparte (Napoleon Bonaparte’s brother), discovered a tomb after the earth below him gave way exposing a cavern. So thanks to this fortuitous event in the fields on the confines of Lazio and Tuscany was found a bounty of precious objects produced by the extraordinary culture of the Etruscans.
In fact, the families of the first tomb raiders, are still wealthy landowners. A wealth that was created by excavating ancient Etruscan artifacts. Lucien Bonaparte was given the nick-name “Principe Tombarolo“ translated to english “Prince Tomb Raider”. He showed the farmers in the area how to make a living other than oil and cheese production. His first public speech boasting his incredible find was at a party where his wife Alexandrine de Bleschamp arrived richly adorned with Etruscan Jewelry.
From that moment onwards triggers a real treasure hunt and the leader was non other than the wife of “Prince Tombarolo”, Alexandrine de Bleschamps and after the death of her husband became notorious as the “Princess” for she systematically organized excavations and the sell of the booty. It was during this “tomb raiding rush” that a tomb at Vulci, a neighboring town, was discovered and would sheds new light on the enigma of “Mastarna”/ Servius Tullius. For a variety of reasons, this tomb was a monument to him and is of great historical importance: constructed in the fourth century BC, when the Etruscan legions began advancing towards the invincible Rome. The splendid wall paintings provide us with extremely important information on the events which occurred in Rome in the sixth century BC,ex; during the Etruscan domination. The discovery of these wall paintings gave credibility to the thesis of Emperor Claudio and is called the Tomb Francois.
Tranlation from original text in Italian by Armando Soldaini
 

 

Local Traditions & Culture

Local Traditions

For the more adventurous traveler, mingling with the locals can yield an array of cultural experiences that will keep you coming back to Tarquinia. Just the daily routines are heart warming and give meaning to a mundane everyday routine. The locals are early risers being a community based on agriculture. The local bars open quite early at 6 am and a few at 5:30 am. The very early ones are filled with chattering farmers talking about the tasks of the day and the agricultural politics of farming. Back to the topic of the farmers and their daily dialogues. Besides the usual tractor and weather talk it is a male convention and the room will go quiet when a woman walks in. For the photographer of humanity I suggest going on a rainy day a little later than 6am and they are happily playing cards. For the rest of the town, 8-9am is breakfast time and they have it at the bar. Warm hellos are exchanged before the workday starts. A cornetto (croissant) and a cappuccino made in so many different ways you need a menu that of course doesn't exist.    “Cap-pu-chio”(dialect), is just normal cappuccino or you could have a “lat-te mac-kiato” which is scalded milk with a spoonful of expresso, a "cafe latte" which is scalded milk with a regular expresso, cappuccino “sen-za skiu-ma”- cappuccino with no foam, a “capuccino scuro”- scalded milk with a long expresso....etc. Everyone goes off to work and the next appointment at the bar is around 10:30am when many meet at the bar again for a quick coffee-expresso, hellos are exchanged then back to the office again until 1pm, "pranzo"- lunch. The town takes lunch very seriously and businesses shut down so they can have lunch with the family and a siesta so don't expect the stores to be open during lunchtime from 1pm-4pm . At 4-5pm everyones at the bar for a quick coffee then back to work. The shops are open until 7pm then 7:30pm "Aperitivo!". Everyones at the bar again to celebrate the end of the workday with a glass of wine or cocktail with a buffet of finger foods to snack on before going to dinner. Many bars are well known for their "Aperitivo" and will be listed on the bar section of the website. Everyone then goes home for dinner or out to a restaurant then around 11 pm the bars fill up again and they have a nightcap together. The bars are very important part of the community; they're not a place to get drunk as in so many cultures. I'll now continue to outside the bar culture, I forgot to mention bars are also where you get to hear all the latest gossip so you don't want to miss out on that!.
  For the old fashioned moms who stay at home, there is the shopping for the long lunch and dinner. Shopping here is an art. The small mom and pop shops still exist. They are sadly slowing dying, the big supermarkets are encroaching and they unfortunately don’t see it coming. Back to the point, shopping for food! The vegetable stands or green grocers are the best places to get the produce from the nearby fields. Gnocchetto sells vegies at piazza Europe Monday-Saturday from 6am-11:30 am where only Tarquinian produce is sold. There is also the stop at the butcher where they can special prepare any cut you need. You just tell him what your making and he will whip it (or cut it) up for you, with the faith in his expertise you will never go wrong. The butcher knows best. Same as the green grocers the freshest and local meats are sold there. Must keep the local economy going and “buy local” not to mention the pollution created from transporting foreign goods. Then lets go to the bakery to get fresh bread. The bread from this region is traditionally without salt. You have to ask “con sa-le” if you prefer a savory bread. Bread is made fresh twice a day. The local bread is called “ca-sa- re-chio” and is made with durum wheat, yellow in color and is very good toasted and drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with salt. Bread is bought by the kilo and not by the loaf. A “chia-bat-ta” is a slow rise bread with salt and filled with holes and goes well with cheese and salamis. There should be a variety of breads to choose from. I have only mentioned the local bread. After the vegies, meat and bread it’s to the “a-li-men-ta-ree” or deli/grocery store to buy fresh sliced hams and salamis. Just stand at the counter and order by the “et-to”= 100grams. “ do-e et-ti” is 200grams, around 1/4lb. The Italians are used to talking with their hands so just invent some hand motions with pointing and stop signs and they’ll get it. The small shops should have the artisan jams and honey too, so don’t be a coward and opt for the easy shop at the super market. Super markets are great for the big stuff. Everything is there without having to ask but you’ll miss the fun part of being abroad. Shopping is great on foot and part of the vacation. Next stop the wine shop! Wine shops will carry the more refined wines and not necessarily more expensive. The wine shop owners are sommeliers and choose the wines personally from the cantina or wineries. It’s a great place to shop with out having to judge by the labels as we do when we aren’t sure. Wineries will be listed in the food and wine shops sections but you will have to have a car. Well the shopping is done for the meals of the day. If you would like to have cooking classes there are a few great Italian moms that will teach you their secrets. If you read this before I am finished, just come back in a few days and I will go on to events and processions and festivals.

 

Look-out Points

Look-out and Park of the Old Wall

Look-out point dell'Alberata

Look-out the Ripa

 

Medieval Center

Annunziata Church 12th century

Originally dedicated to Bishop S. Peter , had a difficult history and a progressive state of disrepair, until 1667 when a very religious soldier painted   an image of the Annunciation in the apse which gave the present name of the Church. On the façade you can admire the Gothic rose window and two-tone portal of southern influence.

Church closed to the public.

Castle Gate and Tower of Matilda Canossa

Called "Porta di Castello e Torrione detto di Matilde di Canossa" in Italian. It is the tower of the double gates that protected the town from enemy envasions in medieval times. The name was taken from an old manuscript from 1080, archived in a Farfa Abbey(prov. Rieti), which states that the nobile woman, the Marquis di Conossa resided in the Castle and tower of Cornetto the former name of Tarquinia..

Chiesa del Salvatore 12th century

(Church of the Savior) The church was part of a monastery and housed the painting of the Savior ( panel painting currently on display at the Museum of Sacred Art of Tarquinia), which was carried in procession on the day of the Assumption. In 1635 the church was abandoned. The facade has a linear single portal and on the back you can see the bell tower and the apse with Lombard-style elements.
Hours: Friday / Saturday / Sunday 10am to 1pm - 3pm to 6pm

Chiesa di S. Maria in Castello 12th century

Romanesque building decorated with Gothic elements was carried out with the assistance of civil and religious powers. The church was consecrated in 1208 after 87 years of construction. It was the cathedral until 1435, when Pope Eugene IV transferred the title to the Church of S. Margherita. From this moment began its decline until 1875 when it was declared a "national public monument." Inside you can admire the valuable Cosmati floor, the marble pulpit, the altar, the baptismal immersion elegant canopy.

Hours: Friday / Saturday / Sunday 10am to 1pm 3pm to 6pm
For the other days there are guided tours- see tours

Ex-Palazzo Comunale

Fontana Nova

Fontanile e Lavatoio

Fountain and Old Laundry

Historical Archives

Palazzo Bruschi

Palazzo Dei Priori

San Giacomo Church 11th-12th century

Romanesque building used as a monastery until the sixteenth century. At the end of the eighteenth century the present facade, was built on the front of a fence that was used as a public cemetery until the second half of the nineteenth century. The characteristic element is the elliptical Arabian-inspired dome present above the transept.
Hours: Friday / Saturday / Sunday 10am to 12pm and 3pm to 6pm

San Martino Church XI

Example of Romanesque architecture with elements from Lombardy and Pisa, is one of the oldest churches in the city and is mentioned in ancient documents of the eleventh century. The building has three naves was modified over the centuries and on the front you can note the many interventions that have changed its original design. The bell tower was added during one of these phases.
Closed to the public - see religeous tours

San Pancrazio Church XII-XIII century

Example of Romanesque-Gothic architecture it was used for official ceremonies of the City Hall and represented the power of the citizens. The simple façade was transformed with the subsequent addition of the bell tower. The interior is set with a single nave, where the bases of the columns indicate the presence of a pre-existing pagan temple. Church is deconsecrated and used for cultural exhibitions.

The Old Fortified walls

Torre Barucci

 

Museums

Archeological Museum of Tarquinia

The National Etruscan Museum is housed in the Vitelleschi Palace, dating from the fifteenth century. The exhibition is located on the three floors of the building, The rooms on the ground floor house in chronological order the stone artifacts. The collection includes sarcophagi carved in nenfro, dating from the mid-fourth century BC. A highlight found in room 10, contains the most important sarcophagi some of which are carved in greek marble and belonging to some of the most prominent families of Tarquinia in the middle of the fourth century BC : The Partunu. Upstairs are exhibited in chronological order, the furniture from the excavations of the necropolis. The tour starts at the last room of the gallery which is home to the oldest artifacts, dating from the Villanovan period (IX - VIII century BC) The following rooms are arranged in chronological order, then proceeding you can admire the exhibits dating from the Orientalizing period ( end VIII - VII sec.aC); vessels imported from Greece by the end of the eighth to the sixth century BC The Etruscan pottery - Corinthian that the Etruscans produced in imitation of Greek and bucchero, the typical Etruscan pottery, pottery economic reproduction bronze. Here are three rooms where you can see the imported pottery coming from Attica, carried out with the black-figure technique and red figures, dating from the sixth century BC In a showcase of the Salone delle Feste is a choice collection of coins Etruscan bronze, cast and minted gold coins and dating from the late imperial period - Roman, found in the excavations of the Roman city of Gravisca, less in 181 BC Proceeding in the following rooms you can see exhibits of local production, both ceramic and metal mirrors, balsam, furnishings. The last room contains the votive, that gifts offered to the deity or to receive a pardon or for favors received, from the sanctuary Ara della Regina. Most of them reproduce, terracotta body parts or heads of individuals for whom you want to ask the protection of the gods. On the second floor there is a porch square from which you can enjoy a magnificent view of the city and the countryside. In a group of air-conditioned rooms are preserved paintings of tombs offices: Triclinium, derricks, Olympics, Ship. Weapons are stored in the hall of the Winged Horses, clay relief dating from the fourth century BC, which was part of clay decoration of the temple Ara della Regina. Complete the exhibition a selection of artefacts found in the major excavations in Tarquinia, managed by the University of Milan for the Etruscan city and the University of Perugia for the site and dell'emporion port and Gravisca.

Museum of Christian Art "Carlo Chenis" of Tarquinia

Il Museo d'Arte Sacra "Carlo Chenis" di Tarquinia (Viterbo), inaugurated the  27th of May 2001, it is on the 1st floor of the Noble Palazzo of the Bishop, It was built by Cardinal Pompeo Aldrovandi,between 1734 and 1752,and was the seat of the episcopal until 1986.

The Museum contains a Gallery of Portaits and 11 rooms  with sacred furnishings, paintings, tapestries, sculptures and liturgical furnishings dating from the XI - XIX century from the surrounding territory.

One of the rooms, placed in the center of the Museum, is entirely dedicated to the memory of Msgr. Carlo Chenis,Bishop of Civitavecchia-Tarquinia (2006 - 2010),, who strongly wanted this museum to preserve and enhance the artistic and cultural heritage of Tarquinia. On the 4th of June 2011, the Museum was dedicated to him.

 

Necropolis

Necropolis of Calvario and Monterozzi

The Etruscan Necropolis

Painted tombs represent a specific aspect of the artistic culture of the Etruscans, the only example of ancient wall paintings known through the historical community. The frescoes inside the painted tombs of Tarquinia are the only contemporary example of the great contemporary Greek paintings that are left to us. Currently we are aware of 180 Etruscan tombs with wall paintings and 140 are located in Tarquinia. Tarquinia is the only place that offers a large number of monuments from the Archaic period (sixth century BC) and extend to the end of the Republican Roman (mid-first century BC), revealing in this city that there was a thriving and uninterrupted tradition of painting. This enormous  not only artistic but also historical wealth represents an insight into the life of 3,000 years ago and has been included since 2004 as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Currently 19 tombs in the locality of "Calvary" in the underground portion of the Necropolis are open to the public . From March to October are open the 4 most remarkable tombs; Tomb of the Bulls, the Greetings, the Baron, and the Scataglini are only accessible by guided tours.

 

Palazzi

No data

 

The Maremma

No data

 

Towers

Torre Dante

Torre del Magistrato

Torre Draghi

Torre e Campo Cialdi

The Cialdi tower and field

 

Università Agraria

No data